Youth Advisory Council
It is with great pleasure that I introduce this OUTSTANDING group of students. This innovative and exiting group of young people is doing their part and making a difference in the Thomaston-Upson County communities by volunteering their time and services throughout the year to assist other community agencies in meeting their goals and community needs. The group was formulated in March of 2015 and since its inception has volunteered their services and time throughout the Thomaston community.
Collectively this group of 10 has donated over 600 hours of giving back to the community. They are the 2017 City of Thomaston Outstanding Community Service Award winners. They recently installed a little library in the Triune Village development and has performed the following services:
- ReImagine Thomaston – Book give-away and Teen Smoking Awareness Booth (32 hrs)
- 2 Kick “Butts” Day Events – Raising Community Awareness Against Teens Using Tobacco Products (144)
- CATO’s Customer Appreciation – Serving cookies and hot chocolate to customers during holidays (18)
- 12 Nursing Homes/Elderly Visits (games, Christmas caroling, bingo, Valentine cards, etc.) (144)
- Dissipating Disparities Inc. Event (face painters) (48)
- Dissipating Disparities Inc. Volunteers for Diabetes Sole 5K (16)
- Dr. Joy Baker’s Event “Better Lives for Babies” (18)
- Dr. Joy Baker’s Mother Daughter Tea Event (20)
- Coordinators and Planners of THA Senior Prom (200+) for the 55+ residents of THA
- Providence Nursing Home 2019 (40)
- Riverside Nursing Home Volunteers (20)
They continue to perform community service where needed.
Interested youth residents (6th – 12th grade) should come by the main office for the YAC enrollment package.